Coffee Hot Chocolate with Real Chocolate and Whole Coffee Beans
A chocolate lover’s mocha
Published: November 20th, 2021 | Last Updated: November 20th, 2021
You read it right. This is a coffee hot chocolate. For those who love both coffee and chocolate, but are looking for a more decadent experience than a mocha.
This coffee hot chocolate is a hot chocolate at its core, with the roasty flavours of coffee, without any of the bitterness or astringency. It’s indulgent, delicious, warm and comforting.
This recipe uses real chocolate instead of chocolate powder which brings a creamy body to the hot chocolate from the cocoa butter within the chocolate.
It also uses whole coffee beans. Using whole coffee beans allows us to extract the coffee flavour without needing any special equipment. It is steeped directly into the milk for maximum coffee flavour and without the bitterness. Using whole coffee beans also makes it easier to strain them out without needing any special filters.
- 260g milk
- 32g coffee beans
- 40g 70% dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
Tools used for this Recipe*
The hand blender is used in this recipe to make a perfect emulsion of the milk and chocolate, for the smoothest mouthfeel and to create a foam. It is one of our most used tools in dessert making. It is used in so many recipes and is essential for any emulsifications such as ganache, cremeux, creme patissiere, glazes and more!
*Note: We earn a small commission for the links above at no extra cost to you.
- Heat the milk and coffee in a saucepan until it reaches around 70-80°C (just before it starts to simmer).
- Turn off the heat and allow it to steep covered for 10 minutes.
- Prepare chocolate in a tall canister.
- Once the milk has steeped for 10 minutes, heat the milk again to around 70-80°C.
- Pour the steeped milk through a sieve (to remove the coffee beans), onto the chocolate.
- Swirl the mixture and allow it to sit for 30 seconds.
- Add a pinch of salt and blend with a hand blender until it is evenly incorporated.
Get the latest recipes and insights!
Subscribe to our mailing list for the latest dessert recipes, tips and advice.