Ruby Honeycomb Gems
Ruby Chocolate Crunchie Bites
Published: November 3rd, 2019 | Last Updated: July 24th, 2021
Ruby Chocolate paired with a smokey, light and crunchy honeycomb! The sweet and subtle bitterness of the crunchy caramel perfectly complements the tartness and fresh palate-cleansing nature of smooth, tempered ruby chocolate. Send this to a friend who loves Crunchie Bars or make them yourself! These gemstones make such an addictive snack, great for sharing with friends. Best stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Do not refrigerate.
- 20 g Glucose
- 150g Sugar
- 20g Honey
- 1/2 tsp Baking/Bicarbonate Soda
- 500g Ruby Chocolate
- Combine glucose, sugar and honey in a pot
- Whisk well
- Add red and/or white colouring if desired
- Tip: Watch temperature closely, the colour will change to a deep amber colour at 150 degrees celcius but you can bring it up to 160 degrees celcius for a deeper flavour
- Add baking soda
- Whisk mixture together swiftly
- Tip: the mixture will triple in size very quickly
- Immediately pour onto lined surface
- Tip: Be careful not to touch the honeycomb - it's extremely hot and can cause severe burns!
- Leave honeycomb to cool
- Cut honeycomb into small gemstone-like pieces
- Heat 400g of ruby chocolate in the microwave in short bursts of 30 seconds, gradually decreasing with each session
- Tip: Mix chocolate well in between sessions - movement is important with chocolate
- Slowly heat up until chocolate reaches 45 degrees celcius, keeping to 5 second bursts when the temperature is close
- Tip: All callets should be melted evenly
- Quickly add 100g of ruby chocolate and ensure all callets are enveloped
- Mix well to melt callets
- Bring chocolate down to 29.5 degrees by moving the chocolate around
- Spread a thin amount of chocolate on a utensil to test the tempering - the edges will start to set in 5 mins
- Dip and enrobe honeycomb gems in tempered chocolate and tap off excess chocolate
- Place quickly on a lined sheet to set at room temperature (the dipping chocolate will cool and thicken)
- Enjoy once the chocolate has completely set
Get the latest recipes and insights!
Subscribe to our mailing list for the latest dessert recipes, tips and advice.